We see the evacuation of Dunkirk, France at the beginning of World War 2 from three different perspectives: from the air, the land and the sea.
“What has happened is a colossal military disaster. We shall go on ’til the end. We shall never surrender. We shall fight on the beaches. We shall fight on the landing grounds. We shall never surrender.”
- Colossal (adjective) – very, very large.
E.g “The blue whale is a colossal animal.”
Synonyms: huge, gigantic, massive.
- Disaster (noun) – an event that causes a lot of damage and death.
E.g “The nuclear explosions in Fukushima were a disaster for the people of Japan.”
Synonyms: catastrophe, cataclysm, tragedy.
- to surrender (verb) – to give up and quit a battle or war.
E.g “Germany surrendered on the 7th of May 1945. This ended World War 2.”
Synonyms: to give up, to give in, to capitulate.
- Landing grounds (noun) – a place where a plane can land safely.
- Torpedo (noun) – an underwater rocket or missile.
“You’re weekend sailors, not the bloody navy – You should be at home!”
- Weekend Sailors (noun/ slang) – normal people who sail boats as a hobby.
E.g “I’m a bit of a weekend sailor – I take my little boat out on the lake every Summer!”
Synonyms: amateur sailors, hobbyists.
- bloody (adjective/ slang) – Informal phrase used in British English to show anger or emphasis.
E.g “You lost your keys again?! You bloody idiot!!”
Synonyms: damn, blasted, fucking.
- The Navy (noun) – the part of a country’s army that fights at sea.
E.g “In the 1800’s, the British Navy was the strongest in the world.”
Synonyms: Fleet, Armada, a Naval Force.
“Where’s the bloody airforce?!”
- The Airforce (noun) – the part of a country’s army that fights in the sky.
E.g “At the moment, America has the strongest airforce in the world.”
Synonyms: Aviation service, flying force, flying corps.
1. Are you interested in seeing this film?
2. What were your favourite shots or images from the trailer?
3. Have you seen any other Christopher Nolan films? What did you think of them?
4. How much do you know about the battle of Dunkirk?
5. Does the trailer remind you of any other films you have seen?
Experienced, qualified and professional English teacher working in Warsaw, Poland.
Interested in pop culture, and using pop culture to teach languages.
Available for private or in-business classes.
International classes also available on Skype.
Contact Cian.email@example.com for further information.